Saturday, March 1, 2014

NY Withdrawls

I still find myself talking about the trip to New York a lot and how much I miss it. It was the greatest feeling in the world to know that there are people (even strangers) who are willing to help you get yourself established in your career. In the sat couple weeks I've started looking into summer internships in Nashville, Tennessee. A lot of music management companies offer summer internship programs, and the big companies have a whole summer program you can do for summer credit. But, during my interview Ana said that if I can I should intern with a small company, because you will learn more about the industry and get more insider information. 
I've been taking this advice to heart and started just emailing small management companies that peaked my interest. A couple didn't get back to me at all, and a couple told me they would look at my resume, and another said that they wanted me to contact them again at the end of March. Without the networking project before the NY trip  I don't think I would have even considered just emailing the company to ask. I'm having a way easier time asking questions and communicating with professionals in the field, whack is so cool! 
I've started researching what the differences are between an artist manager for classical singers and managers for popular music, or country music (since I want to go to Nashville.) I learned a lot about classical singers and what it takes to manage them. A personal goal for me now is to learn more about the popular music world. The problem with this is this industry is only prevalent in certain cities (L.A., Nashville, and NY) So, my mom and I are in the midst of planning a trip to Tennessee to tour some recording studios, and maybe I'll get to practice my networking skills again and meet with more managers. 
I'm getting really excited for my future, and I think sometimes I'm getting a little ahead of myself  because I just want to know what I'm going to do, and what kind of job I'm going to have tomorrow. I need to work on my patience and trust that if I work my butt off it will pay off in the end. Anyways, I'm still really young according to the Drag Queen at "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812." 


No comments:

Post a Comment